Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Surgery

My surgery is set for Friday, I am not sure how I feel about it. Though it's an easy short procedure, it's the unknown that I hate waiting for. I met with the doc for my pre-op and he showed me my most recent xrays. The tube that drains from my kidney is definately not normal and there is a blockage of some type that isn't allowing it to drain. The xrays do not show exactly what the problem is and this is why I have to have surgery. The possibilites are pretty stretched out. He told me not to be suprised if he got in there and it had corrected itself and nothing was wrong. I am pretty confident it isn't corrected because there was over a month between xrays and nothing had changed. If it was normal then I wouldn't have pain right. So the other options could be: a blood clot, a kidney stone that tried to pass and got stuck (though he doesn't think that's what it is), the surgeon who remove my appendix could have possibly damaged the tube, or last but not least this option is very rare, but it could be cancer. Those who know me and my medical history know that I always fall into the "rare" category. If it's rare, but possible that is where I always end up.

The procedure should only be a half an hour. He will go in with a telescope, look around and if he finds anything he will remove it, biopsy it, and go from there. If indeed there is something he will put a temporay stint in there to allow things to drain cause the blood and whatnot will get in the way.

Remember all this came about because I went to have a ct scan for my hernia. I asked the dr if everything came back normal if I had his ok to have the hernia removed. He asked if I was collecting surgeries. Eric asked him if he would remember to "punch my card." This is a running joke with everything that has gone on, but we were thinking if I bought 3 surgeries I could get one free. Anyways, so I hope everything goes well and I can't wait to have these surgeries out of the way so I can get on with life!

3 comments:

Heather said...

hang in there girly girl! You have been through the ringer. It makes me think of your tonsilectomy. I'll never forget the call from Eric asking me to come down quickly he had just called 911. You're due for some good news now so think positive!

Kristi said...

I'm with Heather, one person can only have so much bad luck. You must be due for some good news here pretty soon! Do you want us to bring you dinner on Friday? Wait, better yet, we are going to bring you dinner on Friday, what should we bring?

eric and girls said...

Thanks Kristi, I do have somebody bringing dinner. I know that I have been through the ringer and I have to have good news soon!