Monday, May 26, 2008

Proud to be an American

I have spent most of the day thinking about our country since it's Memorial Day. Growing up I could really care less about the day other than the simple fact that it meant we had no school. I do remember my junior year of high school we were living in Utah and we did go to a cemetery to put flags on some relatives graves. Once again I didn't care about this, cemeteries didn't bother me, but the fact my parents made me go to check out graves for dead people I didn't know was rather annoying to me as a teenager. Fast forward about 12 years, (yes I have been out of school for 11 years.)

My brother Jeff is in the Navy and this has put a new perspective on Memorial Day. He is somewhere where the weather is 105 plus degrees. My sister in law Bonnie mentioned that they were trying to get a cab and they couldn't get one because they are Americans and the fact that they are military. Jeff has never felt so hated before in his life. After reading her blog it has really made me love my country more. Yes, gas, food, and everything is all going up daily but I think it is a small price we can pay compared to those serving our country. We seem to take our freedoms for advantage without realizing what we do have in comparison to others. Men and woman have laid down their lives for us and the many freedoms we enjoy. We live comfortably while these brave men and women are enduring and sacrificing so much. I hope that I will continue to look at Memorial Day and honor all these brave men and women who have died, who have become disabled fighting for the millions of people to have their freedom, and all of them who are sacrificing so much. These brave men and women do not know all of the millions they are fighting for, but we as Americans should give them the respect they deserve for all the trials they endure for us. I know my brother won't read this, but I want him to know how extremely proud I am of him. I know he is sacrificing so much as well as his family. I am proud to be an American.

2 comments:

Swangerlings said...

I feel the same way you do, how privilaged we are to be in this country, we are all truly blessed. My Dad would always thank Heavenly Father for the freedom in this land in his prayers because he was a peace soldier in Korea after the war and as I've grown I've learned greatly from his words and have I've become humbled as well.

thecamps said...

I agree with you 100% i do remember going and putting things on those graves it is amazing what it is like now thinking of our soldiers god bless america!