Monday, April 7, 2008

Taylin's post op visit

We just got back from Taylin's appt. and oh my have we come a far way since her first appt. She actually sat in the chair through the duration of her appt not even getting up once. The dentist said, "wow what is this, you are sitting in the chair." The dentist also told Taylin that she was tough for pulling out her stitches and even though she did her mouth looks great. He asked how I had survived through the procedure at the hospital. I told him it all went well and I am glad we chose to do it the way we did. He told me that there was no way we could have gotten that amount of work done at the dentist office since she doesn't cooperate. So now we go back in 6 months for a cleaning. I am sure you are all wow yay good job Taylin. Oh no she isn't even close to being done with the dentist. Lets just say that if she is going to go to college she is going to have to do so on a scholarship cause by the time her mouth is done there will be no money saved. I know you are wondering what could possibly be left. Well, the poor little girl has a crossbite. The right side of her mouth is normal, normal meaning the top teeth go over the bottom teeth. On her left side the top teeth go behind the bottom teeth. The dentist doesn't want to traumatize her with starting orthodontic work right away. So we will now wait until her 6 year old molars and "behavior permitting" to proceed with all of that. He is hoping the molars will correct the problem, but they probably won't. So that sounds joyous. Hailey mind you is at a different denist office getting her work done. The one Taylin goes to deals with "troubled" kids. Hailey will also need orthodontic work as her gums are too small to hold all of her big teeth. So down the road she will have big teeth pulled and braces to make her mouth all pretty. So Taylin got all of her "treasures" at the dentist today since she did a good job. She got a toothbrush, toothpaste, stickers, a bouncy ball, floss, and 2 dertificates for a free cheeseburger at Burgerville. Wow she scored and when we got outside she said, "wow mommy that wasn't that bad." And you know what else she got? I had to pay 10 bucks for toothpaste. Yes, that's right 10 bucks. It normally sells for 30 bucks cause it's a prescription, but they sale it for 10 bucks there. She has to use it every night at bed time.

5 comments:

Sarah Young said...

Don't worry too much about the crossbite. Lots of kids have them. Relatively few kids make it through life without needing orthodontics of some kind. (Did I mention I worked in orthodontics and pedodontics for many moons?) The appliance she'll likely need isn't that bad. What it will do is slowly and painlessly expand her palate to make room for her jaws to align. I've put them in on skittish and difficult patients and both parties lived to tell!

John and Carolyn Wallace said...

Good Job! Little goof-ball! Love ya!

Bonnie said...

I'm glad it went well! And even better news that she sat in the chair!

Tricia said...

Taylin, I'm so happy for you. I knew you could be a good girl. Tell your mother to go and get you something at target. She has money. She told me.

thecamps said...

good job taylin...good job you too sandy for all your time and effort of taking her through all this i hate the dentist way bad just the sound and smell ugh any way talk to you soon