Friday, April 18, 2008

I love my cell phone

I don't have a fancy or expensive cell phone. It works, I can call out and receive incoming calls and I can text all day with numerous conversations going at once. The other night while watching American Idol (people know not to disturb me during this time), I got a text. I left it there for a minute cause well AI was on and I couldn't miss anything. So the commercial came on and I looked at my phone and to my surprise the text was from none other than my deployed brother Jeff. Communication had been cut off for quite some time and we usually communicated through emails. But not this night he texted us to let us know they made it to their location. ( I can't reveal where it is so sorry). I yelled for both of the girls and read them his text and both of them wanted to call him immediately. Jeff and Hailey have a special bond, he has been in her life from the second she came out of the womb literally. Yes, he was in the delivery room. I looked at her face and could just tell that she was relieved to hear from him. She also said, "Jeffy Pooh is still alive!" How sad is that. We have sent him a ton of texts and he doesn't usually respond because the cost is just so much. Yesterday he sent me a text that he would call us today. We were so excited we couldn't wait. Well, last night I was helping Hailey study for her spelling test and my phone started to ring. I thought I would just ignore it expecting it to be a sibling and that I would call them back. I looked at the phone and it was Jeff. Yes, he called about 24 hours before he said he would. The girls were so excited to talk to him. I talked for just a minute but it was long enough to be able to hear his voice and know that he is indeed alive and well. There is something so different with him being deployed that we make sure every conversation is ended with the sweet words of I love you. Please don't ever take your family and the little things in life for granted. He is out defending our country (a choice he made), but at the same time is making so many sacrifices for his family. I know he will not read this, but I want my Jeffy Pooh to know that I love him so much and am so proud of him. I am so happy for the modern technology that we have to be able to communicate in a time that is so challenging. I also want Bonnie to know that I am here for whatever she may need. I can only imagine what she feels like everyday having her husband gone everyday. You are one strong lady that's for sure. Well, I better end this before I shed a tear!!!!!!!!!

Jeffy Pooh took them on a tour of the ship.

How sweet is this sign they made for him when he left for his deployment?

They are indeed a special blend as it says so on Jeff's shirt!!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sandy, you're awesome. I live with my phone on my hip...I surprisingly don't lose it when he's gone! I've learned to cherish every moment, and every conversation as they are all so precious. And don't worry, you made me shed a tear! But, we can blame it on the hormones, right?

thecamps said...

wow that made me shed a tear. i am so proud of him as well it's amazing how kids react when really they have no clue what is going on. brinley asks everyday where he is or even asks everyone where he is or when he is coming over. they have such strong spirits for him and i too thank him for all his sacrifices.