Thursday, March 6, 2008

My Dearest Daddy


For those of you who don't know my Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about a year ago. In August he chose to have his prostate removed so he wouldn't have to endure chemo or radiation. They were able to catch the cancer early enough and his surgery was a success.

A few weeks post surgery my dad wasn't really feeling well. He could hardly make it down the hallway to the bathroom without becoming out of breath. My dad just thought it was all part of the recovery and even had his post-op appt. where things were looking good. My dad really didn't feel well. One night he could not walk and was very winded and told my mom to call 911. For my dad to even take himself to the doctors is a hassle, so for 911 to be called my dad knew something was wrong.

My mom and 2 of my brothers went to the hospital with him. My mom called me early the next morning (I had bronchitis and didn't have much physical contact with my dad). My dad had developed numerous blood clots. He had some in his legs, his lungs, and one even shot up through his heart. He had a device put in to block the clots from going up to his heart. After that procedure he was on watch as his vitals were kind of all over the place. Anymore of a dip in his heart rate he would have been rushed in for surgery on his heart. The strain from the clot passing through his heart had one of the chambers really weak and the others working harder.

He spent a few days in CCU and then was moved to a normal room and remained there for about a week. This was so incredibly hard to watch my dad be the one in the hospital bed. It is hard to see my dad in pain. He is the one who tells us kids everything is going to be ok when we are sick. Now the roles were turned and it was so hard. I can't imagine what life would be like now if my dad wouldn't have made it through all of that. I have a theory that my dad will be here forever and nothing will ever happen to him. I know that is not true, but I am so happy we were given more time with him.
My dad had his 6 month check-up and I am happy to report that all is well. He has to back every 6 months for a very invasive procedure to check his "stuff". My dad will be 60 on Halloween and we are so happy he will be there for it. I know my dad probably won't read this, but I want my dad to know how much I love him. He means so much to me and I am honored to have him as my dad.
*the pic of my dad was a few weeks after he got out of the hospital. He grew quite the beard and mustache being in the hospital. He was bored one day and shaved it while my mom was out one day. That is what she came home to.

2 comments:

Sarah Young said...

I'm so glad he called 911 and was able to catch it in time. At times like that you realize that your childhood is not the only time you need to have your parents around for their love, wisdom, and support. I'm so glad you'll be having him around longer for all of those things.

Erica said...

Your dad is such a stud!!! We love hearing that he is healthy!