Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Appliance

When I think of a new appliance I think of a new shiny front loader washer and dryer. The washer and dryer that I have had my eye on for years, but could never justify getting because funds were needed elsewhere. We did get a new appliance last week, one that won't be found anywhere in my house, but rather in Taylin's mouth. You see Taylin has a cross bite, 2 to be exact. She got a shiny appliance put in the roof of her mouth. She has a front cross bite so the appliance is helping to push out her jaw line and helping to align her teeth. This nice little device will be on until the end of September, depending on whether or not it did its job properly. I have a key so to speak and I have to turn this device every other day and it's not fun for neither Taylin nor I. Poor girl. Then as soon as it comes off she will have to have braces put on her top teeth to fix the cross bite in the back. This whole process "should" take about a year. Can I just say that by the time we are done paying for this process I could have easily had 2 sets of my washer and dryers. Sad news is the braces are only to fix the jaw line and she will also need braces again top and bottom when she gets older.





3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh man!!! I had the same thing. My mom and I would get in fights every night when it was time to turn the key. Good memories - or not - esp. trying to get stuck food out of those things and talking with a lisp.

Sarah Young said...

Ah, memories of my Orthodontic Assisting days. I've cemented many palatal expanders in many kid's mouths! Tell her it could be worse, she could be subjected to the public humiliation of wearing headgear like I did when I was a kid! ;)

eric and girls said...

Sarah, she has to get braces next. Don't worry her sister has already made fun of her about the headgear.

Heather, John got a lecture from Taylin last time he came over that he was demanded to bring her Mike and Ikes the next time he came. Something soft and not chewy is so much better. And getting the food unstuck is so gross to me.