Saturday, May 31, 2008

Relay for Life

This weekend is East Vancouver relay for life. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a 24 hour relay for the American Cancer Society. It's a huge event to raise money to stop cancer. Last year was my first year participating and I was on a team with work and was walking on behalf of my dad. This time last year was quite sad as my dad's surgery was just weeks away and there was that whole time of not knowing the outcome. Well he had surgery, complications, and then was on the road to recovery. Today he is healthy and we couldn't be happier. I know longer work with the company I was teamed up with last year, but Eric, I, and the girls joined up with our bank this year. There was no way I was going to miss this. My parents also go to the same bank and each team is suppose to have a cancer survivor if possible. The cancer survivors are really important as the first 3 laps are for them. Lap 1 is the Survivors, Lap 2 is for the Survivors and anyone who helped care for them, and the 3rd lap well I forget but I think it was for everyone. My dad is the banks survivor this year and he participated in the Survivor lap. It was so sad as he took his lap, but how happy we are that he is healthy. The 2nd lap my mom, myself, and the girls joined Papa. This of course wouldn't be an event in Wa unless it rained. It rained up until the second the Survivor laps started. All these people fought their cancer or have active cancer, lets hope they will be able to fight off the pneumonia they may get from today's event. The rest of the day is suppose to warm up and be sunny and we are going back later today. I got a picture of us and there will definitely be more pics to follow.

6 comments:

John and Carolyn Wallace said...

Thank-you for making your Dad's day today! It was awesome watching him walk that first lap. We all walked a "walking miracle". Even, we had tears as we watched, we have joy with each passing day that he can say he is a "survivor". Thank-you so much for all you do for us. Especially during this past year! I love you and so proud you are my daughter. :)

thecamps said...

THAT MAKES ME CRY AND I'M GLAD HE IS A SURVIVOR HE IS OUR DAD AND WHAT A STRONG MAN HE IS YOU GUYS ARE ALL SO AWESOME FOR MAKING THAT DAY BE SO REMEMBERABLE FOR HIM. I WISH I COULD BE THERE.

Bonnie said...

That is so awesome. It sounds like a very powerful day. How exciting and special that you got to be part of it for him. It truly is a blessing for him to be a survivor, and we're praying that he lasts many many more!

Erica said...

What an amazing day. You guys are so awesome!!

Tricia said...

What a sweat day. I'm glad you guys could do it again this year and that dad could be the main dude in honor. Where's the pictures to follow?

eric and girls said...

The follow up pictures are on myspace. Blogger takes forever.